In 2013 The Comparison Project began creating guides to religious “communities” in the greater Des Moines area. Each guide includes a history of the community and description of its practices, along with information relevant to visiting that community’s services.
For the most part, each guide was created within the context of a Drake University course about that community (as part of a “Religions of Des Moines” series). In cases where courses have not yet been taught about a religious community that is featured in our photo-narrative on religion in Des Moines (Spectrum of Faith), we provide the student entry from it.
We thank Bob Blanchard for the photos of these communities (http://www.bobblanchardphotography.com)
Please find here entries on these religious communities:
- Basilica of St. John
- Beth El Jacob Synagogue
- Burns United Methodist Church
- Des Moines Valley Friends Meeting (Unprogrammed)
- Drake University’s Muslim Student Association
- Ezan: Islamic and Educational Center
- Greek Orthodox Church of St. George
- Hindu Cultural and Educational Center
- Hindu Temple and Cultural Center of Iowa
- Islamic Center of Des Moines
- Iowa Sikh Association
- Masjid an-Noor
- Sikhs of Iowa Khalsa Heritage, Inc.
- Temple B’nai Jeshurun
- Tifereth Israel Synagogue
- Tu Vien Hong Duc
- Wat Phothisomphan