Since 2013, we have begun creating guides to local religious communities and facilitating digital stories from members of these communities.
For the most part, each guide was created within the context of a Drake University course about that community (as part of a “Religions of Des Moines” series). In cases where courses have not yet been taught about a religious community that is featured in our photo-narrative on religion in Des Moines (Spectrum of Faith), we provide the student entry from it.
We thank Bob Blanchard for the photos of these communities (http://www.bobblanchardphotography.com)
Please find here entries on these religious communities:
- Basilica of St. John
- Beth El Jacob Synagogue
- Burns United Methodist Church
- Des Moines Valley Friends Meeting (Unprogrammed)
- Drake University’s Muslim Student Association
- Ezan: Islamic and Educational Center
- Greek Orthodox Church of St. George
- Hindu Cultural and Educational Center
- Hindu Temple and Cultural Center of Iowa
- Islamic Center of Des Moines
- Iowa Sikh Association
- Masjid an-Noor
- Sikhs of Iowa Khalsa Heritage, Inc.
- Temple B’nai Jeshurun
- Tifereth Israel Synagogue
- Tu Vien Hong Duc
- Wat Phothisomphan